Muffin Madness

Since becoming a stay-at-home mom-to-be I've been doing a lot more baking. Homemade and everything! Today I made a couple of new types of muffins to have on hand for Kevin, Allison, and Michael's visit. Most of my recipes come from making variations to the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (red and white check) which I think is by far the handiest cookbook to have around. They both turned out well and are pretty healthy when you consider all the different fruits and things in them.
The first batch of muffins I made were lemon, banana, and blueberry. I made the basic blueberry muffin recipe and just added the banana. I had made lemon blueberry a week ago or so and they turned out a little dry (I may have misread ingredients thanks to my preggo brain) so I added a mashed up banana to help. I sprinked them with decorating sugar, you know the big crystals, and they turned out pretty tasty. I can't taste the lemon as much in them this time, but that certainly didn't stop me from eating 3 of them.
The second batch is zucchini, cranberry, and walnut with a walnut struesel topping. I took the zucchini quick bread recipe, added in dried cranberries and walnuts, and cooked them at a lower temp than the other muffins and for much less time than the loaf would have taken. It turns out that cranberries go really well in the zucchini bread. The streusel topping was a nice touch - sweet and crunchy. They turned out to be a bit denser than the other muffins but man, I really want to keep eating them. I may end up making another batch this week if Kevin and Allison like them as much as I do.
Now all I have to do is keep them away from Piper!

Comments

Popular Posts