Blessing of the Week: Take That Gestational Diabetes!

For those of you that don't know, gestational diabetes is not a good thing for a pregnant woman, but it's really not good for the baby. Thanks to my history with insulin issues I am at high risk to get it so I have been nervous about that possibility. Last week I had the indicator test and thought I had passed by it turned out that I actually hadn't.
Becasue the results of my glucose tolerance test weren't good last week I had to go back today for a three hour test. I have done the 2 hour test quite a few times in the past and I was dreading being stuck in the office for 3 hours. Plus I am always so sleepy when I do the test that I always wish I could have a quiet place to take a nap - I once fell asleep on the couch in the waiting room.
If I believed in luck I would have thought it was my lucky day. As it turned out I was the only one doing the 3 hour test today so the head nurse checked the schedule for the monitoring room and it was empty. As long as nobody came in who needed to be on the baby monitor I got a room with a super comfy recliner all to myself. This made for a much more pleasant time than I have ever spent doing a glucose tolerence test. During the first hour I finished up "P is for Peril" by Sue Grafton. Hour two I grabbed a blanket and spent sleeping on and off - it sure made the time go quickly. Hour three was spent starting "Q is for Quarry," also by Sue Grafton. It was so nice and relaxing and I didn't feel like I was going to fall asleep while driving home. Definate bonus.
The other awesome thing about my doctor's office is that they hire amazing staff. I only had to have 6 pokes to get 4 blood draws. For me, that is really awesome. The biggest issue is that I only really have one good vein to draw from and by the time they got to number 5 it was done giving up blood. She got the last from my wrist, not my favorite but at least I was done then.
I still need to make sure I'm eating healthily, but I don't have to be a carb nazi. Such a blessing!

Comments

Unknown said…
I'm SO happy your second test turned out well....sorry I couldn't go with you, but really, what would I have done for 3 hours? I might have had to fall asleep in the waiting room...or maybe I could have started your baby afghan....hmmmm.....
Emily said…
I didn't expect anyone to go with me for that one! Besides, it worked out pretty well to have that room to myself.

Popular Posts