Breakfast Pizza

A couple nights ago I decided to surprise Glenn with something new for supper.  I saved some bacon back from our pancake supper a few nights before that which kept him guessing for a while, haha.  I used pizza dough from Trader Joe's.  I seriously love their pizza dough - it's only $.99, it tastes great, and it's super convenient.  A great tip that I got from my friend Angel is that you can freeze the dough and it doesn't hurt it a bit.  This is great for people like me that only have access to a Trader Joe's once in a while.  You just have to let it thaw overnight in your fridge and then follow the instructions on the bag like you normally would.
This turned out so good!  Olivia is a big fan of scrambled eggs and cheese so this was right up her alley.  Between the three of us we ate almost the whole thing!  Between the four of us (if you count our dog) we did eat the whole thing, haha!  Glenn said this was definitely, "Make again."  In our house, this means he loved it.



Crust
Just use your favorite crust.  If you're all into making homemade, go for it!  If you're like me most of the time, just buy a tasty one.

Sauce (All these are approximates)
1/2 Tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons flour
3/4 cup milk
1-2 cups shredded sharp cheddar or another strong flavored cheese (shredding your own makes a smoother sauce, but you don't have to by any means)
Salt to taste (this will depend a lot on what kind of cheese you use)

Toppings
6 eggs, scrambled (I added a teaspoon of sea salt to them)
5 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
2 cups shredded cheese (I used mozzarella and a colby jack blend because they were in my fridge and I wanted to use them up)

You could also use the following, but I kept it simple this time:
Mushrooms
Sliced green pepper
Chopped onion
Chopped ham/Canadian bacon
Cooked sausage
Tabasco
Tomatoes
Other things you like in your omelet

Instructions
Melt butter in sauce pan.  Whisk in flour and cook for a minute or two.  Whisk in milk and bring to a simmer.  Remove from heat and whisk in cheese.  It will thicken quite a bit when you add the cheese.
Roll/spread out your crust.  Spread on cheese sauce.  Add eggs and then other toppings.
Bake according to your pizza dough instructions. 
Note:  My pizza always takes longer to bake than what the instructions say.  I'm not sure if it's because of the stoneware or what, but just check it fairly often and take it out when the cheese is melted and beginning to brown and the bottom is a little brown.

Comments

Popular Posts