Easy Peasy Turkey Pot Pie

I need to work on my pie crust crimping skills.
My absolute favorite thing to do with leftover turkey is my Mom's turkey pot pie.  It is so good - creamy, hearty, and satisfying.  And of course I love anything that is a complete meal in itself with veggies, meat, and carbs all in one.  This is actually the first time I've ever made it myself (I usually leave it to my mom) but I had lots of leftover turkey from roasting one earlier in the week so I decided to make one.  This is a great way to get veggies into picky eaters.  Glenn actually wanted to take the leftovers to work!  Thankfully there was more than enough for both of us to have it again for lunch today.
One of the best things about this recipe is that it is full of shortcuts so it doesn't take very long to put together and it's super easy. 
I could not get a clear picture to save my life, but here's a blurry one!
Ingredients:

15 ounce Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust
1/3 cup butter
1/2 onion finely chopped (optional in my opinion)
1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
3 cups shredded cooked turkey (or chicken)
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed

Heat oven to 425.  Prepare pie crusts according to package directions for two crusts using a 9 inch pie pan (glass is best). 
In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.  Add onion (if desired) and cook for 2 minutes or until tender.  Wisk in flour, salt, and pepper until well blended.  Cook for 1-2 minutes.  Gradually stir in broth and milk, wisking constantly until bubbly and thick.
Add turkey and mixed vegetables, remove from heat.  Spoon mixture into crust.  Top with second crust, crimp edges, and cut slits in several places to vent.
Bake 30-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown (I suggest putting the pie plate on a baking sheet in case it bubbles over).  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Comments

Popular Posts