Super Easy Super Tasty Tomato Sauce

So remember a couple of posts ago when I made turkey casserole and said I was saving my onion to make this off of my friend Melanie's blog? Well, I actually did! This tomato sauce was really really easy and it only has 3 ingredients - well, I added garlic so in my case 4. I'm not going to post pictures because it really just looks like red tomato sauce but rest assured, it looks nice too!
I ended up freezing it after I made it because our dinner plans were interrupted, but I did taste it first and I still wonder how something so simple could be that good.

Ingredients:
28 oz. can whole tomatoes
Medium yellow onion
5 Tb butter
Optional - salt to taste
I also added a couple cloves worth of chopped garlic because I always have garlic on hand and I just really wanted to throw some in.

Chop the onion in half, discarding the outer papery layers. Put all ingredients in a pot and simmer over medium heat for 45 minutes crushing the tomatoes as you go. I used my potato masher for this and it worked really well. After the 45 minutes discard the soggy onion.

And that's it. No, really. Just serve it over pasta and sprinkle on some Parmesan cheese if you want. I know I will, because you know how I feel about cheese! You could easily use this as a base and add lots of other herbs and things. I only did the garlic this time but I'll probably try some other things next time. I'm actually considering making a big batch of this and freezing it in smaller portions. It's that good!
Note: The sauce is still a little chunky and I'm wondering how Glenn will feel about that, so I'm going to run it through my food processor or magic bullet (one of those smoothie things) before I reheat it.
Somebody else out there HAS to try this. I know you won't be disappointed.

Comments

ClumsyChemist said…
Yay! I'm glad it worked out so well for you. I had the same thought about making big batches to freeze because it's so much less expensive than the jars I used to buy.

Popular Posts