No More (Buying) Meat (For Now)!

Okay, so I've been really into cleaning and organizing lately, but only in the kitchen for some reason. I cleaned out the pantry and my fridge/freezer last week. I didn't throw out as much as I have in the past, but I was still annoyed with how much I did. I'm trying to be more on top of that kind of thing. Also trying to not buy things that I'm not sure when I'll use them or what for. Case in point, I found a pork tenderloin that has been in my freezer for quite a while. I bought it at a really good price but not for any specific purpose and in all honesty, I'm not a huge fan of it. There was quite a bit of meat in our freezer that has just been sitting there because I'm pretty forgetful about taking it out to thaw. Instead I run to the store and get something that is not frozen and the other meat just sits there. Here is a list of what I found meat-wise just sitting in there: 4 cups of cooked turkey, 2 - 1 lb. packages of hamburger, 1 lb beef stew meat, the aforementioned pork tenderloin, 3 packages of boneless skinless chicken breasts, and a 13 lb turkey. So I have taken a vow to not buy any more meat until I use up everything that we already have, with the possible exception of the turkey. Here is my plan for using it all up:
Cooked turkey - turkey noodle soup
Hamburger - sloppy joe's (so I can use up some buns that are in the fridge about to mold any day)
Hamburger - hamburger steaks with mashed potatoes and gravy
Stew meat - crock pot beef stroganoff sans mushrooms and served over egg noodles (cheaper than using steak and still really good)
Chicken breasts - cashew chicken (I bought a Wanchai Ferry box kit a while ago. Never tried this flavor, but the others are pretty good.)
Chicken breasts - fajitas
Pork tenderloin (came in a lemon garlic marinade) - stir fry using my favorite hoisin garlic sauce from Soy Vay with carrots, water chestnuts, and edamame and served with brown rice

I'm sure this will change as we work our way through, but I need to start somewhere.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Emily How about coming to Fremont and cook one of those yummy meals for me?
Aunt Barb said…
I've been trying to live out of the pantry and freezer...not the most exciting meals for us but it sure is fun to not spend money! :) I might have to try your crock pot stroganoff...that sounds good!

Popular Posts