Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff

Tonight's effort toward using up the meat in the freezer was Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff, based off of a recipe I got here at Kraft Foods. I made a few modifications to suit our tastes, but the basic recipe is pretty sound. I really love traditional beef stroganoff (minus mushrooms). It's just so savory and comforting and it really isn't very difficult or time consuming. I do make it on occasion, but the steak for it is a bit expensive for our new-baby budget. This recipe is a great alternative and requires very little in the way of prep. The texture is not quite the same as the traditional stroganoff, but the flavor is pretty spot on.

Here are the ingredients in the original recipe with my modifications:
2 lbs beef stew meat cut into 1 inch cubes (I buy pre-cut stew meat a lot of times.)
10 oz. mushrooms, halved (if you're into fungus)
1 medium onion chopped (I actually bought an onion for this, but only used half, and I basically pureed it with my mini food chopper.)
1 clove garlic, minced (or 2 or 3 if you're me)
2 tsp paprika (I didn't have any so I didn't use any.)
1 tsp salt (Kosher if you got it!)
1 cup beef broth
1 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard (I like Dijon, but I did not use any here. It just doesn't seem right somehow.)
16 oz. package egg noodles
Chopped fresh parsley (Um, the parsley at our grocery stores looks terrible so I didn't bother.)

Notice I got the meat reduced for quick sale! That's why I always have this kind of thing in the freezer. I buy it figuring I will use it sometime, and then my freezer fills up!

Put meat, onion, garlic, mushrooms, paprika, salt, and beef broth into your crock pot.
At this point it looks less than impressive.

Cook 7-8 hours on low or 5 hours on high. It smells great - I promise!

Mix sour cream, Dijon, and flour. I used a whisk to really get it well mixed. It will be very thick. Mix into the meat mixture and cook on low for 15 more minutes. During this time prepare your egg noodles according to the package.

Serve the meat mixture over the drained noodles and there you have it. It doesn't look very exciting, especially minus the green parsley, but really it's how stroganoff is supposed to look. Serve it with some nice green vegetables like broccoli or something so you feel well-rounded. This made 2 generous helpings each for Glenn and me and plenty of leftovers.

Comments

Popular Posts