An Unfun Saturday

Yesterday morning I woke up feeling a little tired still but not too bad. I decided not to go to the Homecoming chapel and choir concert though and as it turned out that probably was for the best. Glenn headed in for some hours of overtime and left me in bed. Late in the morning I suddenly was having a lot of pain in my abdomen. It was a weird crampy pain and yet a sharp pain as well. It was pretty bad. I did all of the things I was supposed to - emptied bladder, drank water, laid down, etc. but it was still painful. After about 20 minutes the crampiness seemed to subside, but my stomach muscles would not relax. I tried walking around for a while and when that didn't work I just laid back down for a while. Glenn came home and I was able to eat a little, but then I realized that I hadn't felt Olivia move for some time, like a few hours. I drank a caffeinated soda and waited (this is what my handouts from the doctor said to do) but after an hour I still hadn't felt anything. I called the clinic's answering service and got a call back in 10 minutes. The nurse told me to go to the hospital. It this point it was all I could do to not freak out. We left for Lincoln immediately and got to the hospital a little before 5:00. It made me wish we lived a little closer to Lincoln - it's a long car ride to be that worried.
After getting into a room in labor and delivery and getting hooked up to a fetal heart monitor I was able to start relaxing. Hearing that heartbeat was the best thing ever. My blood pressure was through the roof because of being so tense. I was hooked up to the machine for over an hour. At that point the nurse told us the baby's heartbeat was exceptionally good. That was awesome news. The bad news is that they really have no idea why I had so much pain. They are going to treat me for a bladder infection but it's not clear if that is part of the issue. We were at the hospital for about 2 1/2 hours before we grabbed something to eat and headed home.
Today I am feeling okay, just really tired and my abdominal muscles are quite sore. This week the plan is for me to take it easy and try to watch that I'm staying hydrated, eating well, etc. I'm so thankful that Olivia is doing so well - I just hope that we don't have to have any more trips like that one until I actually go into labor.


Correny said…
So thankful that baby Olivia is doing great! Sorry to hear about the scare, but I am glad you are so alert about your baby already. I can't wait until I get to start feeling my baby. Take care! Love, Corren

Popular Posts