Tonight's Menu: Beefy Gravy Over Mashed Potatoes

Glenn is finally home from his week in Indiana. For his first meal home tonight I wanted to do something that I knew he would love. When it comes to food Glenn loves, mashed potatoes and gravy is at the top of the list. Now, I'm actually really good at making gravy from scratch (if you need tips let me know) but when I remembered this recipe I thought it sounded really good. My mom used to make it once in a while and I have made it a few times but not for a couple of years. Part of it's awesomeness comes from being able to use a crock pot and the other part is that the gravy portion is fool-proof. I'm not kidding - it's really hard to screw this up. Warning: this is not anywhere near from-scratch cooking and if you have an aversion to using "cream of" soups and things like that, this is not a recipe for you.

Ingredients:
4 minute steaks
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup water
1 packet of brown gravy mix

Mashed potatoes to serve it over

Brown the minute steaks over medium-high heat (remember you are just browning them, they will cook through in the crock pot). Whisk together soups, water, and gravy mix. Pour half gravy mixture into crock pot, place browned minutes in, and then cover with rest of gravy. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours. Serve over mashed potatoes.
The meat will fall apart and you get a really hearty gravy with nice chunks of meat. This could also be good over egg noodles, though I've never tried it. I've also doubled this recipe and put it in a larger crock pot and it turned out great.

Comments

Popular Posts