Pumpkin Oatmeal

A few weeks ago I posted a "recipe" for granola bar oat meal (find it here) and in it I mentioned that you could put canned pure pumpkin in your oatmeal, even though I'd never tried it myself. Well, last night I did and it was amazing! I had a can of pumpkin sitting in the pantry for ages and I wanted to have Olivia try some so it was the perfect opportunity. She's not so keen on it by the way, but I think if I did in in a combo with other things she would like it. Anyway, I made oatmeal in the microwave like I did last time. I then added the following based on some of the things I like in pumpkin bars:
Canned pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling!!!)
Raisins
Walnuts (I would have used pecans if I had them, that would have been awesome.)
Brown sugar (real maple syrup would be good here too)
Pumpkin pie spice (or a combo of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, etc.)

It has it all - creamy oatmeal, chewy raisins, crunchy nuts, a little bit of richness from the brown sugar, and spicy flavor!

You know what's awesome about canned pumpkin? It's just pumpkin. Nothing else - no sugar, no fillers. One half cup of pumpkin has 3 times your daily requirement for vitamin A, barely any fat (.5 grams), and 20% of your daily fiber. I really should stock up on this stuff when it's on sale during the holidays. I also want to work on a pumpkin soup recipe. I had some once on a cruise and it was so good and not what I expected at all. If somebody reading this has a good savory pumpkin soup recipe, let me know!
NOTE:  If you're trying to make this gluten free make sure you use uncontaminated oats!

Comments

s&sjohnson08 said…
This sounds DELISH! I wonder if it would be good using Hubbard instead of pumpkin? I still have a Hubbard from last years garden harvest and need to use it soon!
Emily said…
I don't see why not! Let me know how it works if you try it.

Popular Posts