Final Gratituesday of 2009

I always have had a lot to be thankful for, but this year has been a year full of amazing blessings! I tend to think of this year mainly in terms of my pregnancy. After struggling to find a doctor nearby who would listen to me regarding our issues trying to get pregnant I finally found one that would. I was pregnant the next month! I decided at that point that I needed to go back to the doctor I had been seeing for years, even if it meant a long drive for every appointment. That decision was the right one. We had a few miscarriage scares but thanks to a wonderful staff and God's grace we made it through the first few months. I quit my job at the grocery store and that also was the right choice. The second trimester was blessedly uneventful and I really enjoyed it. I was able to work occasionally at the library and earn a little extra money as well as read plenty! The third trimester was cut way too short in my opinion, haha! It was a very difficult and yet amazing time when Olivia was born. We had so much support from family and friends it was overwhelming. The biggest blessing has been how well Olivia has been doing. She has been growing well and other than this cold and ear infection has been really healthy. Her time in the NICU already seems like a long time ago in many ways and yet I still battle the anxiety that lingers from that time. It's hard not to worry every time she has a sluggish feeding or seems out of sorts, but I'm working on it.
Everything we have gone through has really brought Glenn and I together like never before. I really feel like we are a team. All of the stress could have really pulled us apart but instead we have chosen to deal kindly with one another and be more understanding. I try to believe that Glenn has the best motives and thoughts behind his actions instead of thinking he must be deliberately trying to make me angry or crazy. I hope that we can continue this in the year to come. Seeing Glenn with our daughter is amazing to me. He has really matured a lot this year. I'm gratefully for the blessing he is to me.
I feel like I have also gotten closer with many family members and friends through all of the craziness of the year. I especially appreciate everything that my mom, my aunt Barb, and my sisters-in-law Lindsey and Michele have done for me.
I learned a lot about myself this year. I have learned to ask for help (well, still working on this one) and I have learned that it doesn't have to be that painful to swallow your pride. I haven't been able to be as independent as I would have liked or normally have been, but it's been good for me. I have learned a lot about being humble. I have learned to be more comfortable with letting other people bless me! I had no idea what it would be like to be on the receiving end for so many things. I never realized how difficult it would be for me, which may seem strange, but at times it was. Hopefully it will make me more aware of how I can bless others because I now know how something as simple as writing a note or bringing someone a meal can make a big impact. Other than Olivia, this has probably been one of the biggest blessings of all!

Comments

Aunt Barb said…
Wow - what a beautiful post. It is so nice to read about your journey and to know how your faith and your love for each other have sustained you. You should print some of your blog posts for Olivia's baby book - she is so blessed to have such kind, thoughtful, awesome parents!

Popular Posts