Ice Cream Sandwich Cake

Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
Layers of creamy ice cream with chocolate wafers, fudge, and salty peanuts...what's not to love?!
A few years ago I found this recipe and loved it. I made it a couple of times and then sort of forgot about it, which is a shame because it's so easy and everybody loves it! I made it for a 4th of July party yesterday and there weren't any leftovers. I actually thought about buying another box of ice cream sandwiches and taking the extra ingredients I have left here at home and making a mini one in a little pan I have...we'll see!
The hardest part is unwrapping all the ice cream sandwiches quickly. Thankfully Glenn was kind enough to lend a hand and I had the entire thing done in about 10 minutes!

To make a 9x13 sized pan you will need:
2 boxes of ice cream sandwiches (12 count each)
Large container of Cool Whip
Jar of hot fudge topping
Salted roasted peanuts (shelled!)

To prepare, unwrap the ice cream sandwiches. If you don't have help you may want to leave one box in the freezer - those suckers melt quickly! Place one layer of ice cream sandwiches in the pan. You may need to cut some to get a nice fit. Spread a nice layer of Cool Whip on top. Drizzle with hot fudge topping (if you have warmed it up to help it drizzle you might want to let it cool a bit if it's really hot or it will melt through the Cool Whip). Sprinkle with peanuts. Then add your next layer of ice cream sandwiches. If your pan is like mine and widens at the top you will be able to fit more sandwiches in the top layer. Then add the Cool Whip, hot fudge, and peanuts. Put it in the freezer for at least 3-4 hours so that it will set up together. That's it! This dessert really is best the first day or so because the chocolate wafers will start to get soggy. That doesn't meant we throw it away or anything, it just isn't quite as good!
You can make real whip cream at home to use if you want to, but the results aren't usually as good because it just doesn't hold up like the chemical goodness of Cool Whip. I say it won't kill you once in a while. I also like to make my own hot fudge from time to time but in this case it defeats the purpose of a quick dessert.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Stop it already!!Every time I read y9ur blog I gain 10 pounds!!!

Popular Posts