Turkey Casserole

Last night I made my favorite casserole ever. I got the recipe from my mom. It's one of my favorite ways to use leftover turkey, but you could use chicken as well. My mom was nice enough to bring a bunch of frozen leftover turkey when Olivia was born and I've been slowly pulling it out to use in this casserole. We also love turkey noodle soup, but that's another post. I think this dish has sort of a strange combination of ingredients and textures, but somehow it works and even Glenn goes back for seconds! Like all casseroles, the amounts listed are "abouts" and "ishes" because you just don't have to be very exact.

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked turkey cut into bite-sized pieces
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
Soup can of milk (once you empty one of the cream of mushrooms)
8 oz chicken broth (I sometimes put in more pasta and just use a whole can.)
2 teaspoons onion powder or 1/2 cup chopped onion (I actually had an onion this time but I'm saving it to make this from my friend's blog.)
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green pepper (optional in my opinion since, again, we aren't pepper people)
Can of sliced water chestnuts
2-3 cups of elbow macaroni (use more broth if you use more pasta)
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
Seasoned breadcrumbs

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. It will look kinda gross. Dump into a 9x13 pan. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

I went a little heavy on the breadcrumbs this time, but it still tasted awesome.

It may not look like much, but it's delicious and I love that you don't have to cook the macaroni ahead of time. I hope you will try it and that you will enjoy it!

Comments

Unknown said…
mmm....sounds yummy! Might have to try that soon. Thanks for sharing the recipe! :-)

Popular Posts