BBQ Beef-Filled Biscuits

I haven't posted a recipe in a long time so I thought tonight I'd give it another try. This is a recipe that I've modified from my old standby, Kraft Foods, and you can find it here. The original calls for green and red peppers and since we're not really into peppers I used carrots instead. I've found that carrots, when cut up small enough, mix well into hamburger and don't really change the flavor much. You might think I'm practicing how to get more veggies into Olivia when the time comes but frankly Glenn isn't a huge veggie eater so I've learned to mix them in when I can. It also only calls for 1/2 cup of cheese to top them. LAME! Cheese is awesome and I use a minimum of 1 cup. It's rare that I don't double the amount of cheese called for in any given recipe.
According to the website you can make these and freeze them. Then thaw overnight in your fridge and reheat in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.

Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground beef
3/4 cup shredded or finely chopped carrot
Couple cloves worth of chopped garlic (if your BBQ sauce is pretty garlic-y you may want to leave it out)
Teaspoon or so of onion powder (because I didn't have an onion)
Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce (because it makes beef taste beefier to me)
1/2 cup BBQ sauce (or a little more)
Kosher salt to taste
1 can of refrigerated biscuits (7.5 ounce)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
You may want to grease your muffin tin depending on its non-stick capabilities.

Start browning ground beef in skillet. After minute or so throw in the carrot and garlic. When beef is browned stir in onion powder, Worcestershire, and BBQ sauce. Taste and add salt as needed - depends on what BBQ sauce you use. I actually made the beef mixture this morning when I had time and them reheated the filling in the microwave prior to filling the biscuit cups. It turned out the same as when I made it right before filling.


Separate refrigerator biscuits. Flatten them out with your hands and then work them like mini pizza doughs to get them stretched out a bit. Push one on the bottom and up the sides of each muffin cup. I'll warn you that this can take longer than you think. If you are a food perfectionist beware - you can mess with this all day.



Spoon beef mixture into cups, or use your trusty scooper like I did. Bake for 10 minutes.


Remove from oven and top with cheese. Bake another 3-4 minutes.


Let sit for a couple of minutes and then enjoy!



And always be careful not to step on your kitchen help!

Comments

Aunt Barb said…
Fun! I am excited to try these!
Phifer Family said…
Love the new font Emily!!!

Popular Posts