Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Butterscotch Chip Cookies

I have been in a baking mood lately.  I've baked more in the last 10 days than I have in the last 4 months!  I've also been trying to clean out our pantry.  We had some unexpected bills that have forced me to get a little more creative about using up ingredients I have on hand and I've actually come up with some new favorites!  I'll blog more about some of them later, but I have to tell you that for the soup I made Glenn even said the magical words, "Hey, I'll take the leftovers for lunch tomorrow."  That's pretty much the highest recommendation he can give!
Anyway, back to the cookies.  To help clean out the pantry and make something sweet to take on our picnic tomorrow I decided on oatmeal cookies.  I looked in the cupboard and found semisweet baker's chocolate squares that I had purchased because I needed one whole square for a recipe.  I figured why not, and chopped up the 7 squares I had left.  I also found butterscotch chips and again decided to just go with it.  What resulted may be my new favorite cookie recipe!  They are simply delicious and didn't take much time or effort at all.  The recipe is based on the one from my trusty Better Homes and Garden's cookbook (love that thing!).
Glenn sampled half of one of the cookies on one of the towers.  :)


Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 eggs
1 teaspoon good vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup AP flour (but I bet they would still be delicious with whole wheat flour)
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup (a little more never hurt) semisweet chocolate chips or chunks
1 cup (again, not exact) butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 375.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds.  Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.  Beat until combined, occasionally scraping sides of bowl.  Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined.  You can't overmix at this point so make sure everything is good and mixed!  Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer (I had no problems getting it all in, but I have a good mixer).  Stir in rolled oats by hand.  Stir in chips and/or chunks.  Once they are well distributed stop - don't overmix!
Tonight I used my big scoop (the one I use for even cupcake/muffin batter distribution) and made giant cookies, so I had to bake them for about 11 minutes.  You can make smaller ones with a medium scoop and bake them 8-10 minutes though.  If you don't have handy scoops you should seriously think about getting some.  They are awesome.
Let cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute and then transfer to a cooling rack.

Comments

Popular Posts