Focusing on Blessings

I am often a complainer. A negative person. A worrier. Seeing the best in things does not come easily to me. I sometimes have unrealistic expectations. These are all things I have to continually work on. Especially now when I think about being a mom. I do not want this to be a legacy I leave to my child. If you are seeing these things, please help hold me accountable. I may not like it at the time, but I will appreciate it eventually. Hopefully I will not bite your head off - just remind me that I asked for it.
One thing in life that does keep me on track mentally, emotionally, and spiritually is remembering my blessings. A simple thing really but not always easy, especially when things are not going they way I want or envisioned. Ironically that's probably the time when I need to most focus on those good things and the effort is probably good for me. It's just a lot harder to be frustrated with things in life I don't like when I'm focusing on all the good things! I think I'm going to try once a week to focus in on one blessing that is really sticking out to me and write about it on here. It will be good for me.
The blessing I want to focus on today is my sister-in-law, Lindsey. I only have one brother so I only had one shot at getting someone I liked to hang out with joining the family. Eric and I had not been very close for some time and it was only when they had their first child, Hadley, that we began to be more a part of each other's lives again. As I spent more time with Lindsey I began to realize not just how much I liked her, but how much I loved her as my sister and my friend. She is such a great mom and a wonderful example for me. She does things that mean a lot to me without realizing how much. For example, a week ago she drove up to the house with Hadley and Zoey in tow to pick me up so that I could hang out with her and the girls for the afternoon. I had been without a vehicle for 2 weeks and was feeling really isolated, plus they were going to be gone to Minnesota for some time and she knew I would miss the girls. Then she bought me a drink at Starbucks, knowing that I couldn't really afford it. All of this without making me feel like I was inconveniencing her. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it really meant a lot.
Who is a blessing in your life? Have you told them how much they mean to you and what they have done for you? It's always nice to hear you are appreciated. I should work on telling people more often.

Comments

Popular Posts