French Toast with Homemade Cranberry Sauce


We love breakfast for supper around here and every so often I get to craving french toast - like the kind you get at restaurants (but wonder why you are paying so much for bread, eggs, and milk) that is thick and fluffy and beautiful, not the kind I make when I am using up our sandwich bread that is going stale.  It's actually easy to make your own.  The best way I found is to use the cheaper loaves of french bread you can buy at Wal-Mart that are past their sell-by date.  They work better than fresh ones anyway. 
Anyway, this post is supposed to be more about the sauce.  I wanted to do something  little special and festive for the french toast.  I love cranberries and always keep some in my freezer.  Did you know you can freeze them for a year and that most recipes don't need them to be thawed?  Buy those puppies on sale and save them in the freezer - mine are from last January when I stocked up!  One of my favorite cranberry things to make is orange cranberry bread.  The best recipe I have found is the one on the Ocean Spray bag (also found here).  The bread was my inspiration for the sauce.  Here's what I did.

Ingredients:
Bag frozen cranberries
1 cup water
3/4 cup sugar (use 1 cup if you like your sauce less tart)
2 teaspons orange zest
Juice of half an orange
Teaspoon cinnamon
Teaspoon vanilla

I mixed the water and sugar in a sauce pot.  Bring it to a boil.  Add frozen cranberries and stir them occasionally until they start to burst.  Turn heat to low and add orange zest and cinnamon.  Cook for about one minute.  Turn off heat and add juice and vanilla and stir well.  Serve warm over french toast or all kinds of good stuff!  I think this would be good with poultry or pork too, either warm or chilled.

Comments

Popular Posts