Creamy Lemon Pepper Chicken and Rice (with Baked Rice Bonus Recipe!)

Ok, it's time for another round of putting chicken breasts in a crock pot so that I don't have to put any effort or thought into cooking!  Obviously you can cook it any way you want and shred it, but I honestly I find this way shreds easily and requires so little effort on my part that it is awesome.  Three out of the four of us loved this recipe (Olivia said it was too lemony, but she is weird, and she still ate it) so it's definitely a make again.

Ingredients
Part one
2 large chicken breasts (thawed if you remembered to do so but frozen works too)
2 tablespoons butter
1 or 2 sliced lemons (do two if they are very small)
2 teaspoons lemon pepper

Part two
4-5 cups cooked brown rice (use white if you prefer, see brown rice hint below)
1 cup heavy cream (pour in until it's as creamy as you like, this is a rough estimate)
1-2 teaspoons Kosher salt (depends on how much rice you use - put in 1, taste it, and add more if you like)
1 teaspoon lemon pepper

I know two parts can make it sound more complicated but I promise it's not!  Throw all of the part one ingredients in your crock pot on low for 3-4 hours.  Remove chicken and shred.  Discard lemon slices.  Add chicken and the cooking liquid from the crock pot to a large bowl.  Mix in ingredients from part two and boom, you're done.  Seriously.  That's it.  Serve that baby up with some fruit and veggies/salad and supper is good to go.

Update:  This is great with some Ritz crackers crushed on top!

Note:  I actually made the chicken ahead of time, shredded it, and put it with the cooking liquid in the fridge overnight.  Then I just warmed it all up before adding in the hot rice and other ingredients from part two.  I think either way should work great!


Brown rice hint:  I have a problem with cooking all rice and I hate that brown rice is especially such a pain for me to cook.  Constant watching on the stovetop to make sure it isn't boiling over for 45 minutes - no thanks.  That's why often in the past I relied on brown minute rice.  But now I'm trying to cut back even more on our grocery budget, so I'm back to regular brown rice.  Thankfully my dear friend Allison shared her baked rice recipe with me and I've never looked back!  It turns out perfect every time.

Baked Brown Rice 
2 cups brown rice
4 cups water
2 Tablespoons butter cut into pieces

Place rice and water into a 9x13 baking dish.  Top with butter.  Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.  Removed and fluff with fork.  See?  So stinking easy!  It just requires a little forethought.  And really you can make the rice ahead of time too!  Just store it in the fridge.
You can also use chicken broth instead of water for more flavor.  Sometimes I like to add garlic powder and onion powder to the rice for extra flavor too.


Comments

Popular Posts