Crustless Bacon Cheeseburger Quiche

I haven't posted a recipe in quite some time, but I found one that I have been making regularly since I found it so I decided it was worth sharing.  I've been on a quest since my gestational diabetes diagnosis to find main dishes that are lower in carbs and pack a good protein punch (on a side note, I miss pasta so much I dream about it!!!) and dishes high in iron are a plus too.  I'm trying to get most of my carbs from veggies and fruit instead of grains so this fits the bill.  This recipe is NOT low fat, but I'm not telling you to eat the entire quiche at once so you should be okay.  The leftovers are pretty darn tasty too. 
I love traditional quiche so when I found the original recipe I was intrigued.  The fact that it's also gluten-free and I could make it for Tandy family gatherings is also a bonus.  I've toyed with the idea of putting some broccoli or spinach in it too, but frankly we really like eating steamed broccoli or spinach salads on the side so I decided not to mess with it for now.  We also like garlicky green beans with it and a fruit salad.

Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground beef
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped (lately I'm still using the chopped dehydrated onions from Shelf Reliance - so handy!)
4-5 slices of bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup mayo

Preheat oven to 350.  Brown your ground beef with the garlic and onion.  Season with black pepper if you wish.  Layer beef evenly in a pie plate (sometimes I forget to grease it and it still comes out fine).  Layer bacon on top of beef.  Layer cheese on top of bacon.  Note:  The first time I did this it seemed like a lot of cheese, even for me, but it's great! 
Whisk eggs, milk, and mayo together until well combined.  Slowly pour over the layers of beef, bacon, and cheese getting it as even as you can.
Bake for 40-45 minutes.  It comes out with the most beautiful browned cheese crust!
Cool 10-15 minutes and then enjoy!

You can also make this ahead and keep it in the fridge but you either need to make sure that your ground beef is cooled down or keep the egg mixture separate until it's ready to cook.  It will also need to bake a little longer. 

Comments

Popular Posts